Our Ferris-Bueller-Pioneer-Day-Eve Celebration... July 24, 2007

(Noah meeting the Days of 47 Royalty.  He thought they were pretty, but when one of them took off their crown to let him touch it, he wasn't impressed.  Oh well.  I guess he is a boy!) 
I love Pioneer Day.  I'm so grateful for my pioneer ancestors who have given me so much.  They sacrificed so much to give me my heritage, my religion, my home... and their example is inspirational to me.  I love this holiday so much and am so glad to have my own little one to share it with.  It's such an honor for me to pass on the heritage I love to him.  Even though he's still so tiny, he's starting to really enjoy things in the world around him and this has made it even more fun to celebrate my favorite holidays.  
Yesterday was one of those magical, care-free, and spontaneous Ferris Bueller type days for our family.  We spent the afternoon at the float preview party for the Days of 47 Pioneer Day Parade.  The float preview party really is such a fun and festive way to experience the parade because you get to see all the best parts of it up close and in an air conditioned building!  We walked around all the beautiful floats, talked to the Days of 47 royalty, and even got to meet a clown.  Noah loved the floats just as much as I did.  They are so colorful, imaginative, and fun.  His favorite one was one with a bunch of jungle animals on it and a bubble machine.  (He loved playing in the bubbles.)  He'd never seen anything like all of those floats.  There was so much for him to look at; he loved it and so did I.  One of his favorite parts was near the end when we met a clown and she made a balloon creation for Noah.  He was fascinated watching her.  She made him a balloon airplane that he could hold up and, to his delight, hit others with because it was attached to the end of a long blue balloon.  By chance we ran into his Aunt Linda, and cousins Mason and Kim and this made it even more fun.
One of the most endearing parts of the day happened in the car when we were leaving the float preview party.  Noah was having so much fun playing with his balloon, but then he figured out he could make really loud noises with it when he put it in his mouth and rubbed his teeth over it.  I kept telling him to stop because he was going to break his balloon and then he would be sad.  Well, after a few minutes of him doing this and no problems, I gave up trying to get him to stop doing it.  Then I took his balloon from him so I could look at it and...I accidentally popped it.  Oh, it was heartbreaking.  You should've seen his little face.  It was the first time he's ever been disappointed.  I showed him the left over part of his balloon and said, "I'm sorry Noah.  I popped your balloon!"  and his little face turned into a frown and he almost cried.  It was so sad.  I felt so bad and like such a hypocrite!
We finished the rest of our day at one of our family's favorite spots: Temple Square.  We wandered around, showed Noah the fancy Joseph Smith Memorial Building, had dinner together, and walked around the beautiful temple that made Chris and me a family.  It was a beautiful day.  Noah's favorite part of temple square was when he saw a big fountain there.  He immediately ran over to it and tried with all his might to climb in and go swimming in it.  It was all I could do to keep him out! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Whole Bunch of Goings On... April 15, 2008

A Sick Mommie's Two Best Friends... January 18, 2008

A Bang-em Up Weekend... July 04, 2008